The Special Care Counselling program (DEC) trains students to intervene appropriately with a range of clients having difficulties adapting or fitting in socially. This is accomplished in close collaboration with various professionals, such as remedial teachers, learning specialists, psychologists, directors of educational institutions, and occupational therapists.
This program is ideal for those who enjoy people and are good at listening. These candidates are looking for an ever-changing work environment and appreciate human contact. Their motivation includes forging professional relationships and having a positive influence on others. Openness, empathy and a penchant for teamwork are essential characteristics to work in this field.
Total Duration: 6 semesters (3 years)
Total Hour: 2,745 Hours
Tuition fee: 8,727.50 C$/ Semester
Application Fee: 50 C$
Eighteen (18) years of age or older
High School Diploma (Equivalent to Grade 12)
The language test is required:
- For the Direct Admission: Candidates are required to present a valid IELTS test result with an overall band score of 6.0 with writing skill of 6.5 and other components not below 6.0
- For the Conditional Admission (Pathway): If the candidate doesn't have an IELTS test result or if his/her IELTS test result doesn't meet the requirements of the Direct Admission, he/she can apply at least for six months of English Language Program and pay 50% of the tuition fee to get a conditional admission. Candidates might require to complete a Springboard course for one semester prior to starting their programs.
- Your birth certificate (original or certified copy with the original stamp on your document)
- High school transcripts and High School Diploma from the Ministry of Education of your province/ country
- Copy of university diploma and transcripts, (if any)
- Copy of the ID page of your Passport
- Language test result
This important stage can be done either by yourself or an Immigration Lawyer (or an ICCRC Member). In both ways, STAR can help you out!
Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ): Required
Study Permit: Required
* Note: All documents must be translated in English or French
- Custodial care and rehabilitation centers
- Regular or specialized schools
- Group and youth homes
Special Care Counselling