top of page

In order to be eligible to study in Montreal, You need to obtain:

  1. a CAQ, issued by the Gouvernement du Québec (Government of Québec)

  2. a Study Permit, issued by the Government of Canada

Warning: This is not a legal advice

1- Certificate of Acceptance in Quebec (CAQ) requirements

To obtain a CAQ for studies, you must:

  • Pay the application fees

  • Be accepted by a Québec educational institution- Designated Learning Institutes 

  • Agree to comply with all of the conditions for issuing a CAQ for studies.​

  • Financial capacity and required proof

  • Possess sufficient financial resources to cover:

    • Tuition fees 

    • Transportation costs (return ticket to your country of origin)

    • Settling-in expenses for the first year (C$500)

    • Living expenses for the duration of your stay (See photo below)

    • Costs of health and hospitalization insurance 


2- Study Permit requirements

Before you apply for a study permit, you need:

  • an acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)

  • a valid passport or travel document

  • Certificate of Acceptance from the Government of Quebec since you are going to study in Montreal, QC


You need these documents to apply for a study permit:

  • proof of acceptance

  • proof of identity

  • proof of financial support


Depending on your case you may also need:

  • letter of explanation

  • Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ)

  • Custodian declaration (minors only)

  • other documents


You also must:

  • prove that you have enough money to pay for your:

    • tuition fees

    • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and- Preferred Option for Proof of Funds: Evidence of purchase of a special Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution, in the amount of $10,000 CAD to cover living expenses for your first year in Canada and evidence of payment for your tuition.

    • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada

  • be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.

  • be in good health. You may need to complete a medical exam.

  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies.


STAR's affiliated Immigration lawyers and Regulated Immigration Consultants (ICCRC Members) will work on your CAQ and Study Permit carefully and make the submissions on your behalf to Immigration Quebec and Immigration Canada from inside or outside Canada. They will stand by you in case of a refusal. Contact us for more information 

Acceptance Letter Requirements
bottom of page